Up here in eastern Canada, it is damp. It's usually quite humid here at all times of the year except during winter. I have a hygrometer it's rarely below 60% humidity inside, and there are parts of the basement that are starting to get a touch of a mold smell. (The basement in our new house is mostly unfinished except one room, and there is some mold on the drywall. I need to check if there are leaks behind it, otherwise the foundation is in good shape.)
But assuming a properly sealed foundation, how do you go about reducing humidity, if at all, throughout your house? Is there a cost-effective way to do it without relying on electricity to power a dehumidifier? Or is humidity simply something that you have to live with?